Find out about the SA250 form issued by HMRC to taxpayers in the UK, when it is issued and what information it contains.

Friendly Disclaimer: Whilst I am an accountant, I’m not your accountant. The information in this article is legally correct but it is for guidance and information purposes only. Everyone’s situation is different and unique so you’ll need to use your own best judgement when applying the advice that I give to your situation. If you are unsure or have a question be sure to contact a qualified professional because mistakes can result in penalties.

1. What is an SA250 from HMRC?

An SA250 is a welcome letter issued by HMRC to taxpayers newly registered for self-assessment. Once successfully registered, HMRC allocates the individual with a UTR number which they will find on their SA250.

2. Who Gets an SA250 from HMRC?

Only those registered for self-assessment will receive an SA250 form upon successful set up on the HMRC system. This normally applies to individuals who have taxable income to declare on a tax return because, for example, they are self-employed, a landlord or receive dividends.

3. What Information is in the SA250 Letter?

Inside the SA250 letter is information about self-assessment including:

  • UTR number;
  • Tax return dates & deadlines;
  • Reminder that the individual needs to fill in a tax return.


Taxes are changing! From April 2024 sole traders will need to report their earnings and pay tax on a quarterly basis. This is known as Making Tax Digital, which you can read more about in this guide to help you get prepared.

About Anita Forrest

Anita Forrest is a Chartered Accountant, spreadsheet geek, money nerd and creator of - the UK small business finance blog for the self-employed community. Here she shares simple, straight-forward guides to make self-employment topics like taxes, bookkeeping and banking easy to understand.