HMRC Tax Rebate for Washing Uniform

tax rebate for washing uniform

If you have to wash you own uniform at home home then you may be able to claim a HMRC tax rebate which covers the cost of cleaning, repairing and replacing your uniform, as well as any other specialist clothing such as safety boots.

It is important to note you cannot claim for the following:

  • the initial cost of buying your uniform;
  • if you employer has reimbursed you for costs;
  • if you employer provides you with facilities at work to wash your uniform.

How Much Tax Rebate Can You Claim for Washing Your Uniform

HMRC sets out rules by which you can claim.  You can choose to either claim

  • for what you have spent and you’ll need to keep receipts or;
  • flat rate deduction at a set amount fixed by HMRC.

Flat Rate Deductions

The flat rate deduction you can claim is set by HMRC according to your occupation.  Here are some examples of the fixed rate deduction HMRC sets:

  • Joiners & Carpenters £140
  • Labourers £80
  • Ambulance Staff £185
  • Uniformed prison officers £80

You can find the full list on HMRCs own website HERE.

If your occupation isn’t listed, you may still be able to claim a standard annual amount of £60 in tax relief.

You don’t need to keep records of what you’ve paid for if you claim a flat rate deduction.

How Much Tax Rebate Do You Actually Receive?

The amount you receive back depends on the tax rate you pay. So if you choose to claim the standard flat rate deduction of £60 and pay tax at a rate of 20%, you will receive a £12 tax rebate.

How to Claim for Your HMRC Tax Rebate for Washing Your Uniform

If you are eligible to claim for a uniform tax rebate from HMRC, then there are several different ways to make your claim depending on your circumstances.

Tax Rebate Claims Up to £2,500

  • Completing a P87 form online HERE and returning the form by post to the address included at the end of the form;
  • Online by either creating an online account or accessing your exiting HMRC account HERE;
  • Phoning HMRC on 0300 200 3300, if you have claimed successfully before. Make sure you have your national insurance number ready;
  • On a self assessment tax return, if you complete one already for other reasons.

Tax Rebate Claims over £2,500

You can only claim for your uniform tax rebate using a self assessment tax return. You need to register with HMRC, which you can do HERE, in order to complete your self assessment tax return online. The HMRC registration process can take up to 10 days and once it is completed you will receive a letter from HMRC with your UTR number (Unique Taxpayers Reference). Keep this safe as you will need this code to file your Self Assessment Tax Return.

In both the above cases, you will receive your tax rebate through your tax code.  You and your employer will receive a letter from HMRC notifying you of a change in your tax code.  This change will mean that your employer will amend the amount of tax they deduct from your pay to ensure that you receive your uniform tax rebate from HMRC.

Find out more about the P87 HMRC Online Form HERE