How Much Can You Claim for HMRC Uniform Tax Rebate


You may be able to claim a HMRC tax rebate on the cost of cleaning, repairing and replacing your uniform, as well as any other specialist clothing such as safety boots.

It is important to note you cannot claim for the initial cost of buying your uniform or if you employer has reimbursed you for costs.

How Much Can You Claim for Your Uniform Tax Rebate

HMRC sets out rules by which you can claim.  You can choose to either claim

  • for what you have spent and you’ll need to keep receipts or;
  • a flat rate deduction at a set amount fixed by HMRC.

Flat Rate Deductions

The flat rate deduction you can claim is set by HMRC according to your occupation.  Here are some examples of the fixed rate deduction HMRC sets:

  • Joiners & Carpenters £140
  • Labourers £80
  • Ambulance Staff £185
  • Uniformed prison officers £80

You can find the full list on HMRCs own website HERE.

If your occupation isn’t listed, you may still be able to claim a standard annual amount of £60 in tax relief.

You don’t need to keep records of what you’ve paid for if you claim a flat rate deduction.

How to Claim for a Uniform Tax Rebate from HMRC