How to Claim for a Uniform Tax Rebate from HMRC

How to Claim for a Uniform Tax Rebate from HMRC

If you are eligible to claim for a uniform tax rebate from HMRC, then there are several different ways to make your claim depending on your circumstances.

Tax Rebate Claims Up to £2,500

  • Completing a P87 form online HERE and returning the form by post to the address included at the end of the form;
  • Online by either creating an online account or accessing your exiting HMRC account HERE;
  • Phoning HMRC on 0300 200 3300, if you have claimed successfully before. Make sure you have your national insurance number ready;
  • On a self assessment tax return, if you complete one already for other reasons.

Tax Rebate Claims over £2,500

You can only claim for your uniform tax rebate using a self assessment tax return. You need to register with HMRC, which you can do HERE, in order to complete your self assessment tax return online. The HMRC registration process can take up to 10 days and once it is completed you will receive a letter from HMRC with your UTR number (Unique Taxpayers Reference). Keep this safe as you will need this code to file your Self Assessment Tax Return.

In both the above cases, you will receive your tax rebate through your tax code.  You and your employer will receive a letter from HMRC notifying you of a change in your tax code.  This change will mean that your employer will amend the amount of tax they deduct from your pay to ensure that you receive your uniform tax rebate from HMRC.

P87 HMRC Online Form