It is your responsibility to make sure that your VAT payment reaches HMRC by the payment deadline.
There are a number of ways HMRC will accept your VAT payment.
Immediate Payments can be made by:
- Online Banking;
- Telephone banking;
Here are the HMRC VAT Bank Account Details to make your payment:
|Sort code||Account number||Account name|
|08 32 00||11963155||HMRC VAT|
Remember to use your 9 Digit VAT Number as your payment reference so HMRC can allocate it correctly.
Other ways you can pay are below, but these typically take up to 3 days to clear, so you need to make sure you leave enough time for the money to reach HMRC for the VAT deadline:
- Direct debit (but you must have your direct debit set up 7 days before your VAT payment deadline);
- Debit card;
- At your bank or building society.
New Here? Learn how to set up the financial side of your business with these easy to understand guides and resources:
- Sole Trader or Limited Company? – Download my free calculator to check which business structure would help you to pay less tax;
- Tax Records and Bookkeeping – Understand what tax records you’ll need to keep and how to set up your own bookkeeping system;
- Self Employment Taxes Explained – Learn what taxes you’ll pay, how much and when;
- VAT Guides – From registration to de-registration, VAT schemes and thresholds, these guides will take you through the basics every UK small business owner needs to know;
- Invoice Template – Free template and step-by-step guide so you can get paid by your clients.