Do you need to print your SA302 and Tax Overview? Wondering where to find these forms online or what an SA302 looks like? Then read on! In this guide, you’ll find out how to download your SA302 online (also referred to as a tax calculation) and tax overview from the HMRC website.
Table of contents
Friendly Disclaimer: Whilst I am an accountant, I’m not your accountant. The information in this article is legally correct but it is for guidance and information purposes only. Everyone’s situation is different and unique so you’ll need to use your own best judgement when applying the advice that I give to your situation. If you are unsure or have a question be sure to contact a qualified professional because mistakes can result in penalties.
1. What is an SA302 Form?
An SA302 form is the official HMRC document that certifies your tax and income which you can now download online. The form has two parts to it:
- Tax calculation – a summary of how your tax is worked out and income types;
- Tax overview – tax payable, paid and outstanding.
In the past, SA302s were issued by post. However, in recent years HMRC has made this available online and replaced the form with the tax calculation and overview pages. This has helped to speed up the issuing of SA302 for things like applying for a self-employed mortgage.
2. Why Do You Need To Download Your SA302?
Everyone’s circumstances are different and your SA302 is a confidential document. However, the most common reason for providing a tax calculation and tax overview is to give evidence of earnings to lenders because you’ve registered as self-employed. When someone is employed they have payslips as evidence of their income. In contrast, when you work for yourself, your tax return acts as proof of income instead. Lenders ask for the reports automatically generated by HMRC to check your income is declared to HMRC is in line with what’s been written on your loan application and to confirm that you have paid all your tax.
3. Example SA302 Form (Tax Calculation)
The SA302 (tax calculation) shows all the different types of taxable income declared on filling in a tax return such as self-employment income, dividends and rental income.
Here’s an example SA302. You should note that everyone’s will look different depending on the income they receive and the types of income tax they pay.
4. What is a Tax Overview?
A tax overview is a summary, by tax year, of:
- Total self assessment tax payable;
- How much tax has been paid;
- Unpaid tax, if any.
5. Example SA302 (Tax Overview)
Here’s an example tax overview form:
6. How to Print Your HMRC SA302 and Tax Overview
The easiest way to get your SA302 form is to download it on the .GOV website in your HMRC tax account, where you manage your taxes and file your tax return online.
- Sign in to your online HMRC personal tax account
- Choose ‘More Self Assessment Details’
- Click on ‘Get Your SA302 Tax Calculation’
- Continue to Your SA302
- Select the option to ‘Print Your Full Calculation’
- To print for a different tax year choose ‘Tax Return Options’ on the left-hand menu
- Select the year you require
- Choose the option to ‘View Your Calculation’
- Click ‘View and Print Your Calculation’
Each tax calculation and overview is for one tax year, so if your application requires evidence going more than one year then you’ll need to download multiple SA302’s.
7. How to Get Your SA302 by Phone
You can get your SA302 from HMRC by phoning them on 0300 200 3300. You’ll need your UTR number and National Insurance number to get through security so have those ready.