Find out how to get your SA302 tax calculation and tax overview online in your HMRC tax account in this step-by-step guide.
DID YOU KNOW
In the past, SA302 letters were issued by post. But, in recent years, HMRC has replaced them with tax calculation and overview pages which you can view and download online in your tax account. This has helped to speed up the issuing of SA302.
Friendly Disclaimer: Whilst I am an accountant, I’m not your accountant. The information in this article is legally correct but it is for guidance and information purposes only. Everyone’s situation is different and unique so you’ll need to use your own best judgement when applying the advice that I give to your situation. If you are unsure or have a question be sure to contact a qualified professional because mistakes can result in penalties.
Table of contents
1. What is an SA302 Form?
An SA302 form is the official HMRC document that certifies your tax and income which you can now download online.
Your SA302 is made up of 2 parts:
- Tax calculation – a summary of how your tax is worked out and income types;
- Tax overview – tax payable, paid and outstanding.
2. Why Download Your SA302?
Everyone’s circumstances are different and your SA302 is a confidential document. However, the most common reason for providing a tax calculation and tax overview is to give evidence of earnings to lenders because you’ve registered as self-employed.
When someone is employed they have payslips as evidence of their income. In contrast, when you work for yourself, your tax return acts as proof of income instead. Lenders ask for the reports automatically generated by HMRC to check your income declared to HMRC is in line with what’s been written on your loan application and to confirm that you have paid all your tax.
3. Example SA302 Form (Tax Calculation)
Tax calculations may look slightly different depending on the type of income they receive and tax you pay.
Here’s an example SA302:
4. What is a Tax Overview?
A tax overview is a summary, by tax year, of:
- Total self assessment tax payable;
- How much tax has been paid;
- Unpaid tax, if any.
5. Example SA302 (Tax Overview)
Here’s an example tax overview form:
6. How to Print Your Tax Calculation and Tax Overview
- Sign in to your online HMRC personal tax account
- Choose ‘More Self Assessment Details’
- Click on ‘Get Your SA302 Tax Calculation’
- Continue to Your SA302
- Select the option to ‘Print Your Full Calculation’
- To print for a different tax year choose ‘Tax Return Options’ on the left-hand menu
- Select the year you require
- Choose the option to ‘View Your Calculation’
- Click ‘View and Print Your Calculation’
Each tax calculation and overview is for one tax year, so if your application requires evidence going more than one year then you’ll need to download multiple forms. Speak to the person in charge of your application if you need help working out which SA302s you need.