Skip to Content

How to Get a Copy of Your P60

Find out what to do if you have lost your P60 and need to get a duplicate copy from an Employer.

Your P60 is a confidential document. It is a tax form which summarises everything you have been paid by an employer and deductions they have made for things like income tax, statutory maternity pay and student loan repayments.

It acts as evidence of your income and can be used as evidence of your earnings for a mortgage application, for example, claiming tax credits or filling in a tax return.

Because of the sensitive information on the form, getting a duplicate P60 may not always be possible but here are some options to help if you’ve lost your P60 (including if you cannot get a copy).

How to Get a Duplicate P60 from An Employer

Employers are legally required to keep copies of all P60s that they issue to their employees as part of their payroll records. So contact your employer to find out if they can give you a duplicate copy. If they can you’ll receive a P60 which says ‘duplicate’ on it.

Unfortunately, your employer is not legally required to give you a copy of a P60 or produce a statement of earnings.  So if they refuse, your next best option is to contact HMRC

How to Get a Copy of a P60 from HMRC

Unfortunately, HMRC is unable to issue a duplicate P60.  It is a form prepared by employers, but not sent to HMRC. However, they will have information on earnings and deductions made by employers so will be able to issue a statement of earnings.

HMRC can be contacted by phone at 0300 200 3300 or there are alternative ways to contact them on the .GOV website. You’ll need your national insurance number ready which you can find on a recent payslip.


Friendly Disclaimer: Whilst I am an accountant, I’m not your accountant. The information in this article is legally correct but it is for guidance and information purposes only. Everyone’s situation is different and unique so you’ll need to use your own best judgement when applying the advice that I give to your situation. If you are unsure or have a question be sure to contact a qualified professional because mistakes can result in penalties.