Skip to Content

What is an R40 form?

Find out here all about the R40 form. This includes where to download a paper copy on the HMRC website and where you need to post it once you’ve completed it.

Friendly Disclaimer: Whilst I am an accountant, I’m not your accountant. The information in this article is legally correct but it is for guidance and information purposes only. Everyone’s situation is different and unique so you’ll need to use your own best judgement when applying the advice that I give to your situation. If you are unsure or have a question be sure to contact a qualified professional because mistakes can result in penalties.

What is an R40 form?

An R40 form is a document issued by HMRC when you need to claim a repayment of tax deducted on savings interest and investments. It’s similar to a tax return SA100 form. However, it needs to be used by someone who isn’t registered for self-assessment.

How to Fill in the R40 Form?

You’ll find the R40 form on the HMRC website. You can either complete it online or download a paper copy to print. The form summarises all your income for one tax year. So, if you were employed by someone or received a pension, you’ll need to enter the amounts you were paid so that HMRC can see that you are owed a tax repayment. You’ll find details of your employment income on your P60, payslip or P45 if you quit your job.

What is the Deadline for Completing Your R40?

You have 4 years after the end of the tax year to make your claim for overpaid savings interest. The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April each year. You’ll need to use a separate form if you are claiming for more than one tax year.

Where to Post Your R40 Form?

If you have completed a paper copy, you’ll need to post the form to: Pay As You Earn, HM Revenue and Customs. BX9 1AS.

What Else Can Be Claimed on an R40?

You can use the form to claim a tax repayment for the marriage tax allowance.