Skip to Content

Tax Guide for Self-Employed Actors & Entertainers

I put together this tax guide for self-employed actors & entertainers because as a Chartered Accountant in my previous life, I know how confusing business registration and taxes can be when you work for yourself.

In this guide, I’ll share some of my knowledge not just about business registration but also VAT, tax deductions and returns, as well as where you can find additional information to read to help build your knowledge and register as a self-employed actor and entertainer.

I only cover self-employment taxes in this guide. If you have a Limited Company you’ll be affected by different taxes such as corporation tax and dividend tax.

How to Register as a Self-Employed Actor

The quickest and easiest way to register to work for yourself with HMRC is to apply to be self-employed. You’ll need to do this once your income (not profit) goes over £1,000 during a tax year (6th April to 5th April). You’ll need to make sure you’ve registered by the 5th October following the end of the tax year you went over the £1,000 threshold.

Even if you are currently not making much profit from hairdressing or but have crossed the £1,000 income threshold, you must still register with HMRC and fill in a tax return.  Although this may feel onerous, completing a tax return means you can record all your expenses to create a tax loss.  You can then use this against any money you make in the future and save you tax at this point.

How to Register as Self-Employed

There are other business structures out there including:

  • Limited Company
  • Partnerships

These may offer you better tax-savings depending on your earnings and protection from creditors. However, they often carry more reporting responsibilities meaning you need to engage an accountant.

How to Choose the Right Legal Structure for Your New Business

For the rest of this guide I’ll assume that you are registered as self-employed.

Do Child Actors Need to Register as Self-Employed?

Children are liable to pay tax, just like adults. So, if your child is an actor then you may need to register them with HMRC and pay tax depending on their earnings.

How Much Can a Child Earn Before Paying Tax

How to Calculate Your Tax

The amount of tax and National Insurance you’ll pay will depend on how much money is left over after deducting expenses, tax allowances and reliefs.

Income tax starts at 20% on all your income (not just from hairdressing) over £12,500 and 40% over £50,000. Class 2 National Insurance is paid as a set weekly amount when your earnings go over £6,475 and Class 4 is worked out as 9% on your earnings over £9,501.

When you fill in your tax return online, HMRC will automatically calculate how much tax you owe for you based on the information you enter.

Self-Employment Taxes Explained

Tax Deductions for Self-Employed Actors and Entertainers

Claiming for allowable business expenses is the easiest way to reduce your tax bill when you’re self-employed. Typically, most of the things that you pay for in your business will be tax-deductible, for example:

  • Agents and management fees
  • Makeup and haircuts for specific events
  • Clothing and costumes to wear on a specific show, TV program or movie including cleaning costs
  • Photo and video shoots associated with creating your portfolio, for casting websites or a show-reel
  • Research costs for roles and parts such as seeing performances, reading magazines, books and watching movies including the travel costs of getting there
  • Cosmetic surgery if you can prove it’s essential for your career
  • Website design, build and hosting
  • Laptop
  • Licences, software and subscriptions
  • Products you sell to your clients
  • Training and courses
  • Use of home as an office
  • Insurance
  • Travel and mileage unless you have an ongoing contract in place
  • Legal fees
  • Accountants fees
  • Bank charges for a business bank account

There may some expenses you pay for that you use personally and for your work, like your mobile phone. In these cases, you can only claim a portion as a business expense. So, say you use your mobile phone for 60% work and 40% personal, then can claim 60% of the total bills to put against your taxes.

Whilst most things you pay for as part of being a hairdresser are tax write-offs, there are some things you may pay for that you cannot deduct against your taxes. This includes things like:

  • Fines and penalties eg: parking fines
  • HMRC interest and penalties
  • Day-to-day clothes, even if you wear them to attend meetings, interviews or casting auditions
  • Training and courses for new skills
  • Food, except in certain circumstances
  • Personal expenses

A Guide to Claiming Self Employed Expenses

Tax Returns for Self Employed Entertainers

When you register as a self-employed actor or entertainer you’ll need to follow the rules of HMRC self-assessment. You’ll need to submit a tax return online declaring your income and expenses once a year by 31 January, as well as paying tax twice a year by 31 January and 31 July.

Self-Assessment Guides

Keeping Tax Records

When you’re self-employed, you’re legally required to keep records and paperwork that support all your income and expenses and hold onto them for 6 years. That way if HMRC ever asks how you arrived at the figures on your tax return, you’ll be able to show them evidence.

Your records include things like receipts, cash you get paid as well as receipts for any expenses you may wish to claim, along with bank statements.

The simplest ways to keep your records in order and speed up filling in your tax return is to:

  • Open a separate bank account so all your payments are in one place and help you budget for your tax bill (take a look at Starling);
  • Store your records and paperwork using a secure cloud-based storage system like Google Drive or Dropbox;
  • Set aside time on a regular basis to check all your finances are in order and do your bookkeeping.

Bookkeeping Spreadsheet


Value Added Tax (known as ‘VAT’) is a tax added to the price most goods and services consumers buy. Only businesses with a turnover of £85,000 or more are required to register for VAT. Once VAT registered, a business must charge VAT to its customers and pay this over to HMRC after deducting any VAT they have paid to their suppliers as well as submitting VAT returns, usually quarterly.

An Overview of UK VAT

Related Articles for Self-Employed Actors & Entertainers: