VAT repayments occur when you’ve charged your customers less VAT than you have paid out during a VAT period. They often arise because:
- a business has had a slow sales quarter or has poor customer collections if they are using the VAT cash accounting scheme;
- a correction is made for VAT errors in previous quarters and there is missed VAT on expenses to reclaim;
- the business is claiming back VAT on expenses incurred in months before the VAT registration date;
- the business is new and set up costs have exceeded income.
The amount of VAT you are owed from HMRC will be shown in box 5 of your VAT return.
How Long Does it Take to Get a VAT Repayment
VAT repayments are usually made within 30 days of HMRC receiving your VAT return.
In most cases, repayments will be made straight to the bank account you entered into your .GOV account. HMRC will very occasionally issue cheques, although this is much less common these days.
If you have not heard anything from HMRC and do not receive your repayment within 30 days, then you may be entitled to a VAT repayment supplement. This is either £50 or 5% of your VAT repayment, whichever is higher. But you won’t be entitled to this if:
- you have submitted your VAT return late;
- made errors on your return;
- have earlier VAT returns missing at the time you submit your return that generates the repayment.
Read all my VAT Guides
New Here? Learn how to set up the financial side of your business with these easy to understand guides and resources:
- Sole Trader or Limited Company? – Download my free calculator to check which business structure would help you to pay less tax;
- Government Support For the Self-Employed During Coronavirus – Find out about the schemes available, which ones you are eligible for and how to claim;
- Tax Records and Bookkeeping – Understand what tax records you’ll need to keep and how to set up your own bookkeeping system;
- How to Fill In Your Tax Return Online – In this step-by-step guide, you’ll find everything you need to know to fill in your tax return online and beat the HMRC deadline.
- Self Employment Taxes Explained – Learn what taxes you’ll pay, how much and when;
- VAT Guides – From registration to de-registration, VAT schemes and thresholds, these guides will take you through the basics every UK small business owner needs to know;
- Invoice Template – Free template and step-by-step guide so you can get paid by your clients.