Even though sales invoices can take different formats, there is certain information that you are legally required to include every time you bill your clients and customers.
There’s also some extra bits that you may want to include as they will help you get paid.
Details to Include on a Self-Employed Sales Invoice
Whether you are VAT registered or not, make sure you include the following:
- an invoice number;
- your name and business name, your trading address and contact information;
- the company name and address of the customer you’re invoicing;
- a clear description of what you’re charging for;
- the date the goods or service were provided (supply date);
- the date of the sales invoice;
- the total amount(s) owed;
- Your bank details;
- Your payment terms for example: upon receipt, 14 days or 30 days;
- A description of the work carried out;
- A contact name in your clients organisation;
- PO number if your client has issued one to you.
If you are VAT registered then include the following:
- VAT rate being used;
- VAT being charged;
- VAT registration number;
- the total amount owed including VAT.
Details to Include on a Limited Company Sales Invoice
If you have a Limited Company, then you’ll need to include all the above information, as well as the following:
- Limited Company Name, as per your incorporation certificate;
- Your Registered Office Address;
- Company Registration Number.
New Here? Learn how to set up the financial side of your business with these easy to understand guides and resources:
- Sole Trader or Limited Company? – Download my free calculator to check which business structure would help you to pay less tax;
- Tax Records and Bookkeeping – Understand what tax records you’ll need to keep and how to set up your own bookkeeping system;
- Self Employment Taxes Explained – Learn what taxes you’ll pay, how much and when;
- VAT Guides – From registration to de-registration, VAT schemes and thresholds, these guides will take you through the basics every UK small business owner needs to know;
- Invoice Template – Free template and step-by-step guide so you can get paid by your clients.