VAT on inter-company charges can be confusing. But it is fairly common for two or more businesses to operate alongside each other and share costs such as wages, rent and office costs. In the event of an inspection, the VAT inspector will check inter-company charges carefully so it is important to raise all the correct paperwork and charge VAT correctly.
Wages, Directors Salaries
Where one business pays for staff salaries and then re charges a portion to another company then this generally is not VATable.
Recharge of exact costs
Where one company bears the cost of an expense and recharges this back to another company in full and at the exact amount of the invoice, then this is also not VATable, since it is a disbursement.
Where one company charges another a fixed charge then this charge is VATable and will be paid over in one company and reclaimed in the other (a VAT group registration could avoid this).
It is advisable to keep paperwork relating to each invoice and to seek the advice of a professional if you are unsure whether you should charge VAT on inter-company charges or not.
New Here? Learn how to set up the financial side of your business with these easy to understand guides and resources:
- Sole Trader or Limited Company? – Download my free calculator to check which business structure would help you to pay less tax;
- Government Support For the Self-Employed During Coronavirus – Find out about the schemes available, which ones you are eligible for and how to claim;
- Tax Records and Bookkeeping – Understand what tax records you’ll need to keep and how to set up your own bookkeeping system;
- How to Fill In Your Tax Return Online – In this step-by-step guide, you’ll find everything you need to know to fill in your tax return online and beat the HMRC deadline.
- Self Employment Taxes Explained – Learn what taxes you’ll pay, how much and when;
- VAT Guides – From registration to de-registration, VAT schemes and thresholds, these guides will take you through the basics every UK small business owner needs to know;
- Invoice Template – Free template and step-by-step guide so you can get paid by your clients.