How To Claim Marriage Tax Allowance


The HMRC Marriage Allowance is a tax perk that allows one partner in a marriage of civil partnership to transfer up to 10% of their unused personal allowance to another, meaning that person can benefit from some additional tax free earnings.

Who Can Claim the HMRC Marriage Allowance

To use the HMRC marriage allowance you and your partner must meet the following three pieces of criteria:

  • be married or in a civil partnership;
  • one partner does not earn anything or earns below the personal allowance (£11,850 for 2018/2019);
  • the other partner pays tax at basic rate (20% of earnings up to £34,500 for 2018/2019).

If a couple meets this criteria then one partner can choose to transfer up to 10% of their personal allowance to the higher earning partner.  This means that the recipient will benefit from an increased personal allowance and save tax at the basic rate.

How does HMRC Marriage Allowance Work

How to Claim for the HMRC Marriage Allowance

If you are employed then you can register your claim for HMRC marriage Allowance online here HERE.  Alternatively you can call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 for help. HMRC will then arrange for your employer to make a change to the tax code who is the recipient of the marriage allowance. It can take a couple of months to take effect and appear in your payslip, so don’t delay in getting the process underway.

If you are self employed and pay tax through the self assessment system, you can claim yours or yours partners entitlement to the Marriage Allowance on your self assessment tax return.

Self Employed Tax Tip: Marriage Allowance

Accountant In Your Inbox

I'll help you to make more profits, pay less tax and stay on the right side of the rules. Enter your email address to connect with me!

No spam ever. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit