How to Get a UTR number

How to Get a UTR number quickly

If you are applying for a new job and you have been asked to get a UTR number then you’ll need to contact HMRC.  Here’s how it works:

How to Get a UTR Number

When Do You Get a UTR Number

You only get a UTR number if you are registered as self employed.

Self employed means that:

  • You must send in a self assessment tax return;
  • You’re responsible for calculating your own taxes;
  • You are responsible for finding your own work;
  • You do not have the same rights as someone who is employed eg: redundancy, holiday pay or sick pay.

If you have been asked to work for someone as self employed make sure that this is right for you.

How to Get a UTR number

You need to register as self employed to get a UTR Number.

Here’s a video guide to registering as self employed with HMRC >>>

Once successfully registered as self employed HMRC will send you a UTR number by post.  This can take up to 10 days and cannot be done any quicker.

What is a UTR Number

It is a 10 digit number that is unique to just you, like a passport number or national insurance number.

Your UTR number is a reference which allows HMRC to identify all your personal tax affairs easily. For this reason it is highly confidential and you should keep it safe.

How to Find a Lost UTR Number

If you are already registered as self employed then a UTR number will have been issued for you.

Do not register again for self employment otherwise HMRC will expect 2 self assessment tax returns from you!

If you have lost your UTR number then you can find it online, on previous HMRC correspondence or online.

What Happens Once You Are Self Employed

Being self employed brings with it certain responsibilities. In summary these are:

  1. Set up a bookkeeping system that keeps a record of all your income and expenses, as well as filing all your receipts;
  2. Complete a Self Assessment Tax Return by 31 January each year summarising your business income and expenses;
  3. Pay any Tax due by 31 January each year (and payments on account by 31 January and 31 July each year).

Looking for more advice from me?  Find me on Facebook here >>

Self Employed? Never Miss Good Stuff From Me

Get updates when I create new freebies, publish blog posts plus other informational emails.

I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit